On October 1, 1948, Bishop Apollinaris Baumgartner, OFM Cap., established Father Dueñas Memorial School (FDMS) as a minor seminary and a high school for young men near the site of Fr. Jesus Baza Dueñas’ martyrdom. The first buildings were simple Quonset huts, which were gradually replaced by permanent structures through the dedicated help of FDMS families and community volunteers. The Stigmatine Fathers served as the school's first administrators, and FDMS proudly graduated its first class of 12 young men in 1950.
In the decades that followed, leadership of the school transitioned through several religious orders and lay appointments:
1959–1974: The Capuchin Franciscan Friars
1974–1989: The Marist Brothers
1989–1991: The Canons Regular
1991–2009: The Catholic Laity
2009–2012: The Salesians of Don Bosco
In 2012, local diocesan priest Fr. Jeffrey C. San Nicolas was appointed head of school, serving until the beginning of the 2016–2017 school year. He was succeeded by Mr. Tony Thompson; following Mr. Thompson's passing in 2018, Mr. Ismael Perez was selected as Principal, a position he continues to hold today.
In 2024, the school celebrated its landmark 75th anniversary. Throughout the years, the young men who have passed through its halls have become prominent leaders and professionals within the Church, government, business community, and various other sectors, both on Guam and abroad. To this day, FDMS continues to distinguish itself as a premier all-boys college-preparatory school providing a well-rounded education of the mind, heart, and spirit.
Our NamesakeFather Jesus Baza Dueñas was born on March 19, 1911, to Luís Paulino Dueñas and Josefa Martínez Baza. In 1926, he left Guam to attend San Jose Seminary in Manila. He eventually became the first priest ordained at the Agaña Cathedral, receiving the sacrament from Bishop Miguel Angel Olano, OFM Cap., on June 11, 1938.
When the Japanese invaded Guam in December 1941, Fr. Dueñas and the newly ordained Fr. Oscar L. Calvo were the only priests left to pastor the Catholic Church on the island. Throughout the years of occupation, Fr. Dueñas courageously spoke out against Japanese abuses. Accused of treason against the Japanese imperial regime, he was arrested in Inarajan on July 8, 1944. Despite being brutally tortured alongside his nephew, Eduardo Camacho Dueñas, he refused to escape while in captivity. He maintained that he had done no wrong and trusted that God would look after him, knowing that an escape would only bring severe punishment upon his family and suspected conspirators.
At the break of dawn on July 12, 1944, Father Dueñas and his nephew were taken to Tai, Mangilao. There, they were beheaded alongside two other Chamorro men, Juan Pangelinan and an unidentified companion. In March 1945, Father Dueñas’ body was exhumed and solemnly reinterred in the sanctuary of his parish church in Inarajan.
On July 7, 1970, the late Governor Carlos G. Camacho issued Proclamation 70-24, officially designating July 12 as "Father Dueñas Day."
The video below is narrated by our students and provides a concise look at the life of our namesake, Påle' Dueñas. We extend a special thank you and si Yu'us ma'åse' to Nihi Indigenous Media and Pacific Historic Parks for their production!
Additionally, the second video features a recording of a talk given by Påle' Eric, OFM Cap., on the occasion of the school's 75th Anniversary.